AI and Big Data – the cooperation that works

AI and Big Data – the cooperation that works

Companies that use Big Data are often in control of the insights they receive. Most companies use less than 20% of their data, leaving the remaining 80% to be left outside for future leverage. Fortunately, there is a new possibility to be uncovered that makes processing of all gathered data possible. The interaction between AI and Big Data is still in the early stages, but a few companies have…

Best data collection methods for improving your customers base

Best data collection methods for improving your customers base

Data is one of today’s most valuable resources in business. Collecting information about customers allows companies to understand their interests and needs better. There are a variety of methods for collecting data, and it’s hard to choose the best one. That’s why we are taking the time to introduce you to this topic! Get to know the best data collection methods and decide which one…

Big data analytics – a profitable resource for telecom operators

Big data analytics – a profitable resource for telecom operators

Nowadays, the number of people using smartphones, tablets or other electronic devices, is growing rapidly. The amount of data produced with these devices is vast and hard to process. Telecom operators are finding this a challenge, that is very difficult to handle. However, thanks to Big Data Analytics solutions, they can make this an opportunity, a profitable one even. The flow of information…

Improving loyalty and experience with customer analytics

Improving loyalty and experience with customer analytics

An understood customer is a satisfied customer. A satisfied customer is a pure profit. One thing is certain, customer analytics is one of the main drivers for business development and revenue increase. You may conduct basic analysis in a simple way, drawing conclusions from customer surveys. However, you might also want to get inspired by the percentages from this text…